Author Topic: Beginning and Closing the Individual Conferences  (Read 1070 times)

Offline erichho2

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Beginning and Closing the Individual Conferences
« on: April 16, 2019, 12:50:31 PM »
These are some strategies that I learned during my time in the writer's workshop at UIUC. Previous research has shown that students tend to leave conferences with positive feelings when they feel their needs have been addressed. It's important to address both what the students feel they need in addition to what the teacher believes they need. In the beginning of the conference, I typically like to ask students how well they feel they did on the paper, rather than going straight into comments. Doing this helps you get a good idea about how the students think about their strengths and weaknesses in their writing. It's also helpful to have them point out places in the paper and provide examples for where they feel the issues are. At the end of the conference, I like to work with the students to make a plan for revision. I will typically type out some notes as we discuss what they will do next to revise. This helps them to remember and internalize what they need to work on, and more importantly, gives a clear series of steps. I feel that revision processes can be frustrating for students if they feel what they need to revise is too abstract, so having a written down plan helps.