Author Topic: Motivating learning with authentic materials  (Read 1116 times)

Offline erichho2

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Motivating learning with authentic materials
« on: April 16, 2019, 01:05:09 PM »
This kind of strategy I find works well with students that are professionally or academically motivated already. Sometimes though, it may be hard to focus on a activity if they are presented materials that don't seem relevant to their lives. In a graduate ESL writing class I had, I had many students that were motivated to write academically. I asked them to send me materials from the classes they were taking at the university, sometimes academic journals, to teach certain aspects of writing. This works for certain lessons that you don't really need to understand the topic. For example, I asked some students to send me abstracts from their field. Even though I didn't understand the terminology or information, I could ask them to deconstruct the parts of the abstract to raise awareness to the different components of abstract/summary writing. I could have just as easily provided a generic sample writing, but providing them with something that was familiar in their lives to teach a general concept seemed more interesting to them.