Author Topic: Practicing order of events by writing a recipe  (Read 1277 times)

Offline mrcheald

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Practicing order of events by writing a recipe
« on: March 21, 2019, 09:46:03 AM »
This activity is meant for advanced beginner/low intermediate adults. The topic focus would be a on food. This is a writing task but it does have a listening component.

Pre-writing activity:
1. Do you cook with written recipes? If not, how do you cook?
2. Do you have a favorite thing to make? What is it?

Watch this video of Chef John cooking Macaroni and Cheese https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2019/03/instant-mac-and-cheese-thinking-outside.html. Look at his list of ingredients, are any of the ingredients unfamiliar to you? 

Writing activity:

With your partner, write the instructions for the recipe step by step. You may watch the video as many times as you want. DO NOT copy exactly what he says - use your own words. If you have trouble understanding what Chef John is saying please let the teacher know.

Post writing activity:
Find a recipe in English online to follow and bring that dish to our IEI potluck tomorrow!

Offline gutwein1

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Re: Practicing order of events by writing a recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 09:16:35 AM »
I love how your created an activity for lower level students. This is also something that is very useful and practical. I like how you used mac and cheese as this is such an 'iconic American food', and bringing the dish to a potluck is SUPERB!

Offline agaldamez

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Re: Practicing order of events by writing a recipe
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 05:21:09 PM »
This activity reminded me of when I gave a 3-minute presentation on how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in Korean. At that time, I was was low intermediate. So I think this activity would be great with your target audience.