Author Topic: Tips for giving global feedback  (Read 2560 times)

Offline erichho2

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Tips for giving global feedback
« on: April 16, 2019, 11:09:50 PM »
Two common strategies of providing teacher feedback include the "in-text" feedback, where you give comments on a specific part of a students paper, and "global feedback", where you give overall impressions of the students paper. I find both to be very useful, but here are some guidelines that I find helpful for each type of feedback.

With in-text feedback, you want to be careful not to go overboard. Although it might be nice to have a lot of suggestions for students, be careful to not overwhelm with feedback. Also, be careful about the types of feedback you give, as they may contradict each other. For example, if you comment that a student's writing sounds "awkward" and ask them to reword it, and in another comment you comment that the content might not be so good, you may be giving contradictory advice. Should the student reword the sentence or revise it. Just be aware of the ways that your suggestions might interact with each other, and how your students will perceive them.

I find global feedback to be useful to give "bigger-picture" advice about the essay. I also find it helpful to give examples if I make a suggestion. So for example, if I made a comment about being more careful with paragraph organization, I could provide specific cases from the writing to support that. In one situation, I pointed out that the topic sentence could use some refining. Even when you give global comments, providing examples helps to make things less abstract for the students.