Author Topic: Links to Sites with Reading Activities (during)  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 164
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Links to Sites with Reading Activities (during)
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:51:23 AM »
If you come across a site with good materials, exercises, suggestions, etc. for during reading, please post the link here by replying to this message.  Please include a short description of the site.  (Please note that these links may overlap with those in the pre and post reading sections--which is no problem!)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:54:15 AM by Randall Sadler »
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline Olexandra

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 6
    • View Profile
During-reading activities for "Pulsars"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:51:19 PM »
As a during-reading activity for the article about Pulsars I would ask my students to implement "Think-aloud" techniques. With the help of this activity students will not only deeply process the content of the article on the while-reading stage, but also will learn the reading strategies that can help them become more thoughtful readers and improve their reading comprehension abilities. 
To illustrate the procedure of this activity, I, as a teacher, would take the first paragraph and read it aloud slowly, making pauses to summarize the sentences, making inferences, monitoring potentially unknown vocabulary (using context clues to determine the meaning of unknown words), making predictions on what will happen in the next paragraphs. 
So, I'll start: "Pulsars are fast-spinning stars that emit regular beams of light known for their clock-like regularity." - Here the author gives the definition of "pulsars". What might "fast-spinning" mean? If I don't know the verb "spin", I will think what stars can do in general. Hm... they can move or rotate. Aha, so they rotate in a quick mode. Suppose I don't know the word "emit", but I know the following word light which helps me understand that it is connected with the spread of light. If I am not sure about the meaning of the word "regularity", I will look at the word that stands nearby and characterizes "regularity"- "clock-like". I know what "clock" means. what do people normally associate with clocks? - time, precision, regular intervals/periods. So, it must be something similar to the clock, or its function. Now I come to the understanding of the meaning of this sentence. - Pulsars are stars that move/rotate fast, spread light around themselves, and do it in regular intervals of time.   
Then I would go on reading: "So, when one strangely turned off for a year and a half, astronomers were surprised to find that this abnormality could help them solve the longstanding mystery of what makes these flashing stars tick." - What is implied by "one" here? "One" is a substitute of something that was mentioned before. The key noun of the paragraph is "pulsar", so it's about the pulsar which strangely turned off, meaning stopped spreading the light, as if smb. switched it off. So, astronomers started studying this phenomenon because they wanted to find out the reason why pulsars get "turned off". what do you think will be described in the next paragraph? - Probably there will be description of the research held by astronomers and their findings. Let's read on and see.