Author Topic: "Descriptosaurus"  (Read 406 times)

Offline hveitch2

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 1
    • View Profile
"Descriptosaurus"
« on: February 05, 2020, 01:28:03 PM »
The term "Descriptosaurus" is a new and innovative model of creative writing that is a thematic expansion of a dictionary and a thesaurus. I first heard this term in a Routledge textbook for building literacy skills in primary-age children. Descriptosaurus provides children with a comprehensive resource to help them expand their descriptive vocabulary, experiment with language and sentence structure and build up narratives based around the following areas:

Settings landscapes, settlements and atmosphere
Characters appearance, emotions and personality
Creatures appearance, abilities and habitats

The attached document (pgs. 57-79) provide an in-depth description of utilizing the Descriptosaurus in a primary classroom, as well as explanations and examples of possible activities for developing descriptive and creative writing skills. I think that this could also be utilized in an English Language Learner context, not just with primary students!

One aspect of this tool that I really appreciate is the different themes it provides: Travel, Time of Day, Emotions, etc. For each theme, Routledge provides relevant vocabulary, phrases, metaphors, idioms, example sentences, and more. These examples can be used when developing reading and writing skills with learners.