Author Topic: Pick 3  (Read 2737 times)

Offline rkyle

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Pick 3
« on: March 13, 2020, 02:46:52 AM »
So this is based off of a card drafting system (e.g. Sushi Go).
First the teacher would compile a list of questions for students to answer about themselves. The way I imagine it, it's probably best to limit oneself to 3-4 questions per student, and for bigger classes instead of creating a list of 100 questions you would just break students into smaller groups and have the same base of questions. A list of some example questions:
1. Where were you born?
2. Where did you grow up?
3. What's your major?
4. What's your favorite game (board/video/etc)?
5. What's your favorite book?
6. What's your favorite TV show?
7. What's something you can do that you think nobody else in the room can do?
8. Favorite food?
9. Dream career?
etc. etc.
The idea here is basically make a list of questions that might generally come up in an ice breaker exercise, or a question that could have an interesting answer (while being appropriate both for the classroom, and the language level).
Next, the teacher writes the questions on index cards (such that each question has its own card).
Third, the teacher either breaks the class into groups or has them all gather around (based both on how many questions one intends to give each student, and how many students one has in their classroom).
Fourth, the teacher will deal out each student the number of questions they want them to answer (e.g. if students are to answer three of the above questions, then each student will be dealt 3 cards).
Fifth, students will look at their 3 (or however many) cards, and they'll select one. Once they've selected their question, they pass the other questions to the student to their left.

So if you only start with three cards students will pick one, pass, pick one, pass, and get a default card on the last. Then, obviously, they have to introduce themselves using these questions (e.g. if I had picked 1, 3, and 7, I would say 'My name is Kyle. I was born in California. I'm studying Japanese pedagogy. And I don't think anybody else in the room can solve a Rubik's cube.'). In my opinion there are two main benefits to an activity like this. First, for an introverted person like me, there's no forced interaction. When it comes to something like name bingo, where one has to seek out others, I basically don't participate (I know, I know). Second, the idea of having a choice entices me. Of course, it partially depends on how good(/varied) the questions are, but I think it might be interesting just to see what kind of questions people select for themselves. And, for myself, I think the idea of being (semi-) in control of my introduction is appealing. Also, a minor benefit (perhaps more specific to me than the general public), I took the mechanics from a board game, and I always enjoy more game-y things.