Author Topic: Breaking News English  (Read 875 times)

Offline Erika the First

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
Breaking News English
« on: March 13, 2020, 11:21:58 AM »
Breaking News English - https://breakingnewsenglish.com/index.html

This is a really great source for short articles that are modified to fit various proficiency levels. The articles are news-based and so there are lots of current topics provided, but as well the website provides articles from a while back, too, in their archive.

Once you pick the article that youre interested in, you can usually choose a level ranging from 0 (low) to 6 (advanced) depending on proficiency. Above the article itself, there are a lot of various activities that are provided for instructors to build their lessons off of, categorized into six sections (print, listen, read, grammar, spell, words). I particularly like the listen section as it gives an audio of the article. While the activities themselves are a bit controlled, instructors can adapt them to fit their needs.

I thought that this would be a good resource for instructors to get readings for intensive reading practice. As topics are current, it can be relevant for students and might be more engaging. And because the readings are adapted to different proficiency levels, it can be modified to fit different needs.
Current state of mind: Philosopher's Stone, page 120, lines 24-26.

"I hope youre pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed or worse, expelled. Now, if you dont mind, Im going to bed. "