Author Topic: Alternative Assessment of Writing  (Read 1105 times)

Offline erinrr2

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile
Alternative Assessment of Writing
« on: May 05, 2020, 12:12:22 AM »
I found an interesting article that talks about the use of alternative assessments in  the English L2 classroom. The author suggests that meaningful assessment tasks that help increase writer confidence can be beneficial for students, along with assessments of what the author describes as "significant classroom events" (i.e. providing written assessment/peer feedback for students doing a performative reading activity). Additionally, teacher feedback provided for previously given peer/student feedback can (in the right circumstances) highlight the strengths of the students' feedback and skills or abilities they may possess that are beneficial as a writer. This can also help to improve writer confidence.

The author concludes with some comments about how traditional grading plays a role in alternative assessment forms, which basically says: focus on the students' growth as writers, try not to draw too much attention to repetitive (grammatical) errors, and to utilize more "completion" grading to help east pressure on students who may be concerned about a grade. This last part is interesting, as the author fully acknowledges that she assigns the students' letter grades based fully on their final exam, which I am not so sure I agree with; however, I do think there is something to be said about using smaller completion assignments to help encourage students and offer them less stressful opportunities to revise their writing.