Author Topic: Making 'Sense' of 'Nonsense'  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Dana

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 17
  • Power: Find all the candy in the world
    • View Profile
Making 'Sense' of 'Nonsense'
« on: September 13, 2008, 01:08:48 PM »
Here?s a fun writing activity (for about 15 minutes roughly)

Pair up students and label them, give group #1 a piece of paper and ask them to write ANY sentence they want. Then, pass the paper to the next pair (#2) and have them write another sentence based on the first one (more like a story completion). Now fold the paper and cover the first sentence before passing it to group #3, the third pair will continue the story based on sentence #2 (which is the only one visible), now before passing it to the next groups, make sure all the above sentences except the LAST one (in this case it?s #3) are covered. Etc etc?

Basically, students will write a story based on the last sentence they see. Keep folding and rotating the ?story? among groups as much as you want, they can go for a second turn or even more depends on how much time you have (or if you want it pretty short for a warm up activity, it should work too).

Finally read the end product (the whole story) together and you?ll see that it?s going to be absolutely hilarious. You?ll see that some students will pick up and elaborate on the subject while others choose the object and/or the actual event (verbs etc). This can be a good activity to teach coherence, cohesion, story telling, emphasizing the importance of context in writing among other things? or simply just to have 100% guaranteed fun!

Offline Hollis

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 15
  • Power: Ability to eat massive amounts of peanuts!
    • View Profile
    • Intensive English Institute
Re: Making 'Sense' of 'Nonsense'
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 10:59:24 AM »
Reply to "Making 'Sense' of 'Nonsense'"[/glow]

Dana,

I love your idea!  I've done it before in my class and it was a huge hit!  Also, if the teacher then takes time to analyze the language and explain why things went they way they did (in terms of the decisions the students chose), it can be a great activity for focus on form.

As always, nice ideas!

Chris

;)   :o   ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Christopher J. Hollis
Instructor: Intensive English Institute
1205 West Nevada Street
Urbana, IL 61801

Offline Silvia Iglesias

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 11
    • View Profile
Re: Making 'Sense' of 'Nonsense'
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 10:13:11 AM »
Great idea! I think is very dynamic and will give students a lot of motivation to write. I've never used an activity like this, I will definitively try... it also involves reading comprehension...! :notworthy