Author Topic: During Reading Activities for for an article about Galaxies  (Read 7042 times)

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Ultra Superhero Poster!
  • Karma Points! 159
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
During Reading Activities for for an article about Galaxies
« on: October 07, 2008, 09:17:08 AM »
These during-reading activities are for an article titled:  Galaxy ramming through space creates fireballs, which may be found via Astronomy.com (article also attached, but follow the link if possible since it has added interactive features):
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=7464

Find the activities in the replies below!

For pre-reading activities for this article go to this post:
http://www.eslweb.org/resources/index.php?topic=611.0
For post-reading activities for this article go here:
http://www.eslweb.org/resources/index.php?topic=613.0

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:02:21 AM by Randall Sadler »
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline Hollis

• Superhero Poster
  • Karma Points! 15
  • Power: Ability to eat massive amounts of peanuts!
    • View Profile
    • Intensive English Institute
Re: During Reading Activities for for an article about Galaxies
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:22:47 AM »
As for "during reading activities" for the reading "Galaxy ramming through space creates fireballs" that can be found at (http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=7464), I would do the following as my during reading activities:

1) In the previous post under "pre-reading activities" I described how I would have the students "scan" the text for words that I did not know and circle/highlight these words in the pre-reading activity.  Now, in the "during reading activity" I would have the students "guess the meaning" of these words based on context.    I would have the students read the area at sentence level first and then paragraph level.  I would not allow them to use their dictionaries and try to force them to use only their knowledge of context to infer the meaning.

2) Then, I would have the students read the passage and try to summarize each paragraph, pointing out the main idea of each paragraph.

Thanks for reading my post and good luck!   

:tasmanian devil :tasmanian devil   ::thanks

Chris
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 09:38:23 AM by Randall Sadler »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Christopher J. Hollis
Instructor: Intensive English Institute
1205 West Nevada Street
Urbana, IL 61801

Offline Shawn Fitzpatrick

• Superhero Poster
  • Karma Points! 17
  • Power: The ability to memorize phone numbers
    • View Profile
    • ESL Idea Exchange
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 11:24:20 AM »
Activity 1: (Glossing)
Find the main idea of each paragraph

Activity 2: (Guessing from context)
White out some words, which could reasonably be guessed from context (based on content or even on a collocation), and then have students predict the missing words.  This could be scaffolded: 1) Have students guess the part of speech of each missing word, 2) have students guess the meaning, even if they don't know the exact word, 3) have them try and think of a word

Examples:
Our Milky Way __________ is one of billions found in the observable universe.

To resolve the effect of the environment on the evolution of galaxies, a team of ___________s from the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan and the University of Tokyo used Suprime-cam on the Subaru Telescope to observe the Coma Cluster of galaxies.
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire

Offline Qishu Liu

• Hero with Powers Poster
  • Karma Points! 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 11:26:24 AM »

There are several methods can be used  during reading process concerning this article.

1. design a question-answer paper and let students do some reading comprehension work.Then explain it in class.
eg.What's the main idea of this passage?
This helps Ss understand the acticle in a secure way.I think before undergoing any creative or peer activities, we must make sure that Ss having different levels in english reading know the materials clearly first.

2.Work in groups.Ask each group to create two open questions each paragraph and have the questions answered by another group.And we can play the HOT HANGMAN GAME to make the competition more interesting.

3.encourage Ss to do follow-up readings through searching in the internet or other resources.If a forum is given, encourage them to put more funny materials or explanations of technical terms on the forum.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:47:51 PM by Qishu Liu »

Offline Moon

• Hero Poster
  • Karma Points! 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 12:37:30 PM »
These kinds of during-reading activities may be helpful:   

Activity1: Looking for discourse markers
When readers are asked to identify the main idea within a time limit, finding discourse markers and connecting the sentences containing the markers to make a brief summary, can be a good way to understand the whole context as quickly as possible.

Activity2: Comparing what is read with what is known
Refer to, if any, discussion questions or prior knowledge, which may have been asked or given as food for thought before the actual reading, that is, as one of pre-reading activities, and compare them with what is read. By doing this, the readers will feel a sense of accomplishment according to how exactly they can predict the whole story. Ultimately, this will make the readers feel like reading is guessng game which is very enjoyable. 

Thanks,

Moon  :'(
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:51:10 AM by Moon »

Offline chang45

• Karma Points! 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 01:35:37 PM »
Students will both read in class and outside class. Students will be put into group (five groups in total) and each group will be responsible for one paragraph of the reading.

Activity one (Checking comprehension throughout the reading activity):
Students will work with other group members to talk about whether they understand what assigned paragraph is about.

Activity two (Identifying the main idea):
Students will then write down the main idea of that particular paragraph.

Activity three (Making inferences):
After class, students will check online resources, such as wikipedia, and look for solutions/explanations for any understanding problem or question they encounter during their group work in class.

When students come to next class, they will share with the whole class their understanding of their responsible paragraph.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:36:34 PM by chang45 »

Offline wowsunho

• Hero Poster
  • Karma Points! 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »
I've got this idea from TBLT class I took last semester.

1. Divide the class into 5 groups (the same number of the paragraphs in the article).
2. Assign one paragraph to each group.
3. Have each group summarize the paragraph, or discuss the paragraph based on comprehension questions.
4. After discussion on the same paragraph, make a new group with one student from each group.
5. Each student who come from each group does a brief presentation of his/her paragraph to the other members.
6. Each group put together the information about each paragraph into one. The outcome could be the organization of the whole article, catching up with the details of the article or the information about the given issu/field, or the summary of the whole article.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 07:29:03 PM by wowsunho »

Offline wowsunho

• Hero Poster
  • Karma Points! 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 10:12:08 AM »
Shawn,

Your activity is what I usually did when I taught reading.
I think it's very useful because students have to understand the organization of the article, especially how the paragraphs are related to one another. However, sometimes, it could be rather difficult to students. So I think it's very important to control the level of difficulty when you make up questions.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 10:13:09 AM by wowsunho »

Offline tsbrayak

• Karma Points! 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 10:19:55 AM »
Here's what Juval and I came up with:

1.   Have students read whole article in parts.  Then have students do a cloze activity based on the article.  The cloze activity would be a summary of the entire article (written by us teachers).  The jargon words would be left blank (like light years, Kelvin, clusters, ionized gas, etc).  The idea is NOT to teach jargon (unless we have an ESP science class) but instead to make students aware that even us native speakers don't know what these words mean, BUT even without those words, we know what they're probably about.  The answers to the blanks would be like 'unit measuring temperature' or 'unit of distance' or 'star like thing.?

2.   Present students with a scrambled list of vocabulary words and definitions from the article (e.g. galaxy, evolution, fireball, filament, cluster, dwarf, etc.).  Have students scan the article to find each word and then try to match each word to its definition from the context in which it is used in the article.  Students can do this in pairs/groups.

3.   Divide students into groups.  Give each group a list of comprehension questions (could be different sets) based on the article (E.g. How can astronomers study the evolutionary processes of galaxies?; What is in a galaxy cluster?; What are the knots or ?fireballs? mentioned in the article, and what are they comprised of?, etc.).  This is to get them to understand the main ideas.  Once students have answered questions, have them compare their answers with another group and make any changes they see necessary. 

Offline misspark516

• Hero Poster
  • Karma Points! 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 10:25:02 AM »
During Reading Activities

Using post it notes to indicate questions you have about the text or prior knowledge that helps you understand portions of the text (check for comprehension)  Then, students can partner up and share where they placed their post it notes and what they had written.

Highlight words that are unfamiliar and try to define the words without use of a dictionary based on the reading. Later students can look up the words (monitoring vocabulary)

While reading the text, students can fill out a book report type sheet where they must find the main idea, summarize each paragraph or find the main point of each paragraph... or highlight each in a different color.
(identifying main idea)

Use frowny face and happy face stickers to indicate where you understand the text completely and where the text gets a little trickier to understand.
(comprehension)

Offline leeragsdale

• Karma Points! 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 07:28:33 AM »
As for during reading activities, I think starting with a basic clip-art like picture of a galazy and having students draw the phenomenon would be helpful to understanding the article since there is a lot of detail offered about what it looks like.

Also, a flow chart that outlines the observations, research studies, and questions raised might help students navigate through the tough language. (see attached document)
Lee Ragsdale

Offline soohyun

• Karma Points! 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 09:48:20 AM »
I agree with most of the people that it would be a wise idea to divide students into groups and assign them to read one paragraph each.
Assuming that students have already looked up the words that they are not sure of, what I would focus on during-reading would be to check student if they can differenciate the keywords/phrases and paraphral phrases.
So from their first reading, I would ask students to pick out important words/ a phrase that can 'condense' the whole paragraph with.
Students later can change their answer for post reading, once they are done reading the article more than once  ::)