Author Topic: Post Reading Activities for an article about Galaxies  (Read 15949 times)

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 164
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Post Reading Activities for an article about Galaxies
« on: October 07, 2008, 09:17:38 AM »
These post-reading activities are for an article titled:  Galaxy ramming through space creates fireballs, which may be found via Astronomy.com (article also attached, but follow the link if possible since it has added interactive features):
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=7464

Find the activities in the replies below!

For pre-reading activities for this article go to this post:
http://www.eslweb.org/resources/index.php?topic=611.0
For during-reading activities for this article go here:
http://www.eslweb.org/resources/index.php?topic=612.0

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:29:25 AM by Randall Sadler »
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline Phyllis

• Muggle Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile
Re: Post Reading Activities for an article about Galaxies
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:29:22 AM »
I think the post reading activities can be focused on the following 2 aspects:  :book
1) the consolidation of what SS have got from the reading material
2) the expansion of the reading activities

As for the former aspect, test of concrete understanding of both ideas and vocabularies appearing in the acticle will be undergone,such as listening summary materials,the multiple choices ex. and blank filling ex.

For the latter, the attention will be put on the deepenness and expansion of those viewpoints and words, such as consulting more relative information online or writing a plan for the futrue exploration of the space.
Phyllis
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:51:56 PM by Phyllis »

Offline Francine

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 02:21:25 PM »
 ;D

My team members and I came up with three tasks for post-reading activities:

First, after reading this article, we'll ask students to work in pairs and discuss the content of each paragraph and summarize the main ideas of each paragraph. We intend to ask them not just to use their own words but also to use the new words they just learned. (We don't consider "using the new vocabulary items again in their summaries" plagiarism because our purpose is to let them have the chance to apply what they just learned to their writing tasks.)

Secondly, since our purpose of choosing this kind of material is to broaden students? knowledge on the English language, we will want to ask them to think about where they can find resources like this and ask them to look for more useful websites that they consider helpful for their language learning.

Then, we would like to ask them to look for materials from these websites and pick up one article that interests them, e.g. whether our planet earth will be hit by other known or unknown meteorites in the future and what we can do to prevent this from happening. After done with this article, they're encouraged to report their findings and thoughts to their fellow classmates. (They can use power point to make a presentation or summarize what they read for the class). Our purpose of doing this is that we want to make sure they read extra articles outside of classroom and know more about knowledge in other aspects of the English language.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 01:11:04 PM by Francine »
May health and happiness be with you always.

Offline dbus2

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 07:34:19 PM »
This article contains a fairly common format, it begins with an introduction that goes from general to specific and ends with a thesis statement that introduces the focus of the article.  Each paragraph presents factual evidence to support the main idea.  Thus, for a post reading activity, in order to help students understand the text structure as well as understand the supporting points and evidence contained in the article, I would use a graphic organizer.  A graphic organizer is a chart that allows students to manipulate the information from the text into a visual format to make the organization and meaning of the text more clear.  Several examples can be seen here:
http://www.eduplace.com/graphicorganizer/
These are somewhat basic, but you can modify the idea of a graphic organizer to suit the text that you are using.

Also, here's an article about the use of GOs in L1 and L2 classrooms, and how/what type of GOs are beneficial for ESL students:
http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/rfl/april2007/jiang/jiang.html
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:47:05 PM by dbus2 »
The path to our destination is not always a straight one. We go down the wrong road, we turn back. Maybe it doesn't matter what road we embark on, maybe what matters is that we embark. --Northern Exposure

Offline Hollis

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 15
  • Power: Ability to eat massive amounts of peanuts!
    • View Profile
    • Intensive English Institute
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 08:11:07 PM »
As for "post reading activities" for the reading "Galaxy ramming through space creates fireballs" that can be found at (http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=7464), I would do the following as my post reading activities:

1) Using the information the students gathered through their "pre- and during- reading" activities (please see previous posts), I would have the students create groups and talk about what each thought the article was about.

2) Then, I would have the student groups create a summary of the text with the main points of each paragraph outlined.  Each group would need to make one copy of this summary and outline so that each group member had a copy (they could either handwrite it or just print out several copies if they did the task on a computer).

3) Following the groups making such an outline, I would have the student groups jigsaw group members and compare their summaries/outlines with members of other groups.

4) Then, I would have the students compile a "master summary/outline" for each group based on the outlines of each group combined.   Again, each group member would need a copy.

5) Next to last, I would have the student groups break-up and have the students get into pairs and present briefly about the reading to each other.  They would present about their summaries and outlines to each other.   After much practice, I would have the students ask me questions as I hovered around.

6) Lastly, I would have the students write a personal story related to space, the galaxy, stars or anything of the like. 

Thanks for reading my post and good luck!   

:tasmanian devil :tasmanian devil
 ::thanks

Chris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Christopher J. Hollis
Instructor: Intensive English Institute
1205 West Nevada Street
Urbana, IL 61801

Offline Kyeongsuk

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 10:12:43 PM »
For the post-reading, our group thought about this.

After reading ?Galaxy? article,

1.   Have students discuss the idea of the article
2.   Summarize each paragraph in their own words and tell other students about it.
3.   Talk about whether they had read other article or books or movies relating to the article above, or some parts of article. They could talk about their experience of planetarium (Talking about experience of planetarium could be applied to pre-reading activity, either).

Offline Mijeong

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 11:17:44 PM »
For post-reading activity, I suggest that teacher allow students to write their own article by using the topic they learned.

<Writing their own article>

1. Students should find main idea and summarize the text by paraphrazing main sentenses. They should use this summary as the body of their own article they will create.

2. Students should add an instruduction on the body that they already wrote.

3. Students should expand the body relating to informations that they found in the library. (I suggested that teacher let students find other article as a pre-reading activity on the pre-reading section.) One suggesting way to use article they found is that teacher allows students to present what happened in space historically.

4. Students should make a conclusion of thier own article.

Then, finally, students can write their own article through post-reading activity.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:23:45 PM by Mijeong »

Offline hlo3

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 10:02:59 AM »
Our group think came up with a great idea for post-reading activity: find an article related to the topic and share that with the class!

If I were the student, I would share the story The Little Prince http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince with the class!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1EwtqkGRI4&feature=related]
with the class!

Here is the listening link from Youtube :D

Offline dbus2

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 10:05:40 AM »
Great idea!  I love that book! It's a great book for readers of all ages and I like the connection you've made between fiction and non-fiction texts.  : )
The path to our destination is not always a straight one. We go down the wrong road, we turn back. Maybe it doesn't matter what road we embark on, maybe what matters is that we embark. --Northern Exposure

Offline katwu

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 10:23:57 AM »
I personally had a hard time understanding this article, so here's a post reading activity that could help students to

-elaborate and evaluate their own understanding of the article
-determine what additional information is needed for comprehension
-consolidate and integrate information through further research

1. Students share about their first reaction after reading this article: what they like/dislike, find it difficult/easy to understand, boring/interesting?
2. Students identify where they had trouble understanding the article
3. Identify the key words (nouns) that they need more information on?(E.g. galaxy clusters, light years, ram pressure, gas stripping process. The class could vote on the top five most popular key words.)
4. Assign each key word to a group to do research on the key word
5. Each group are then required to share their information using ?understandable?, common, easy-to understand, language(basicaly, rephrase the concept of the terms in their own words)
6. After group presentations, through collaborative work, students should have more control over the content of the article
6. Students make annotations (explaining about the key words) for this article

Offline meryl

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 03:06:23 PM »
To begin, I am attaching a worksheet for the students to fill out, but that can also be used as a reading comprehension quiz in which they must provide:

Subject,
Thesis,
Audience,
Purpose

In addition, after reading this article, I would ask students to first form groups (using group roles!) and, together, to write a well-formed, 1-paragraph summary.

Also, I am attaching a vocabulary log that, admittedly, can be filled out during the reading, but that I ask my upper-level student to fill out after having identified key words during reading.

Finally, at the Astronomy Picture of the Day website http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod there are beautiful pictures of everything astronomy related.  Using these pictures as prompts, students in a creative writing class can brainstorm ideas and write short stories, or lower-level students would be able to practice writing captions or brainstorming vocabulary.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:01:44 AM by meryl »