Author Topic: Get them talking and LYING!  (Read 5281 times)

Offline eunice

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 9
    • View Profile
Get them talking and LYING!
« on: August 29, 2009, 05:54:37 PM »
Among the many "getting-to-know-you" activities that I've participated in so far, I liked "two truths and one lie". This is a game where everyone has to think of two truths and one lie about themselves. Students will take turns in presenting the three things they've thought of to the rest of the class, and others will have to guess which one is the lie. Obviously, this game would work best when you have a small number of people in your class. I liked this game, because it gives you a chance to know all sorts of quirks and experiences of your classmates.

Another one that I liked is also a lying game >:D. I'm not entirely sure what it is called but I remember calling it the "couch game".
You ask the students to write one strange fact about themselves or an outlandish experience they've had on a piece of paper. You ask them to write their names on it and put it in a bowl and mix it up. The teacher picks one piece of paper and reads it out aloud without telling the students who it is. Then s/he asks three people (the person who wrote it and two others picked at random) to come out to the front and elaborate on this fact/experience. That is, the real person would be telling the truth and two others will have to make something up and pretend it's their own story. The rest of the class needs to guess to whom the story really belongs.
This activity might take up the whole class, but it is a lot of fun!
Eun Seon (Eunice) Chung
PhD candidate in Linguistics, UIUC

Offline soohyun

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 6
    • View Profile
Re: Get them talking and LYING!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:39:10 AM »
I played this game in my ESL 507 and it really was fun!
However, it might not be a good icebreaker if there are no one in the group
who are willing to share embarrasing stories or interesting facts to the rest  ::)

Offline smgramley

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
I also did this activity with my ESL class, but we did it at a social activity outside of class time.  Once they got the idea, they seemed to enjoy it!

Offline katwu

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 09:12:19 AM »
I did the "two truth and one lie" activity in my ESL500 (Oral and Written Communication at the graduate level) class. It worked really well! The students enjoyed making up "false facts" about themselves. However, the problem is, I think the students didn't really get to interact with each other more in depth. The class in now in its the fourth week, and most of them still don't know each others name :?don'tknow

I love the idea about the "lying game"! I'm going to try this in class next time!

Offline juvalracelis

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 11:02:02 PM »
I think that this is a great activity to do with low level ESL students as well.  I've often given writing prompts to lower level students (like write a letter to a friend in your home country) and tell them that this is just practice so they can "make up" whatever they want.  Well they end up being overly truthful and I end up feeling like I'm reading a diary! 

I think that this activity helps them understand there's some flexibility in the truth when it comes to practice!

Offline tsbrayak

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 01:09:17 PM »
I really like both of these "get them talking" activities!  I think these would be fun ice breaker activities to do the first couple of days of class!  It sure beats the usual introduce yourself activity!  The 2nd activity reminds me a lot of the game dictionary dabble!  Some great ideas!

Offline Cogliostro

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 7
  • "In Flames we Burn"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 08:37:40 PM »
This is always fun. I remember I did this in my German 102 class, and people shared interesting things about their lives. Then when they revealed the lie, it also sparked conversation and a little bit of interaction.

A little problem is that it might take a really long time if the class is large, so a possible variation with large groups would be to divide the whole class into smaller groups and do it there. They will not be able to hear from everyone in the class, but it would take a little less time for tight schedules.
"I live so that I might learn; I learn so that I might teach." DUIR