Author Topic: An argumentative paper pre-writing activity  (Read 6045 times)

Offline JewelHunt

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 6
    • View Profile
An argumentative paper pre-writing activity
« on: October 19, 2009, 05:03:21 PM »
I observed a class in which the instructor introduced to a full classroom of international students the idea of building argument for an argumentative paper.  The material she used was proposal of city council to pass the law to reinforce the management of street dwellers/panhandler.  Students were paired up (or in small groups) to discuss possible arguments in terms of different roles for the city council meeting: the civil-right attorney, the middle-class suburban dwellers, the street dwellers/panhandler, the store-owners and college student volunteer in homeless shelter.  After the discussion, the class actually formed a circle like a real round-table forum and that gave students the ambience of real-life setting.  Students were then given chance to take turns to voice their opinions and arguments. 
I think the class was successful not only because the pre-writing activity helped build up the idea of argument for the paper, but the ambiance of the classroom that the instructor deliberate cultivated also provide students vivid picture of how powerful an argument can be when it comes to persuasion.

Online Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 165
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Re: An argumentative paper pre-writing activity
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:41:38 AM »
Great idea!

I have another post in the forum that is also designed for a warm up for the argumentative/persuasive paper.  This one is often called a "lifeboat exercise," though in my case (being a science fiction geek) I set it in outer space. 

http://www.eslweb.org/resources/index.php?topic=21.0 
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org