Author Topic: Paraphrase Relay!  (Read 2712 times)

Offline katwu

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 11
    • View Profile
Paraphrase Relay!
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:05:58 PM »
After spending one lesson on teaching students on paraphrasing, students already know 
1.how to distinguish betwen a legitimate and plagiarized paraphrase
2. basic steps to paraphrase at the sentence level

I extended the activity of "paraphrase chain",in which students line up and takes turn paraphrasing the same sentence and see if the ideas get distorted by the end of the line. Instead of a paraphrase chain, we did a "paraphrase relay"!

1. I divided the class into four groups, each group has four students (make sure that each group is equally competitive in terms of their writing ability)

2. In front of the classroom, I arranged four chairs. This is the place where the relay takes place.

3. Each group has its own sentence that needs to be paraphrased (the difficulty of paraphrasing that sentence should be the same)

4. Only one person in the group can come up to the front at one time. The first person in each group gets to see the original sentence and has to paraphrase that sentence.

5. After the first person finishes, the second person in the group has to quickly come up to the front and paraphrase what the first person paraphrased.(The rest of the team members could only paraphrase according to what the previous person has paraphrased) The activity carries on until all the students in the group has a chance to paraphrase the sentence.

6. The first group that finishes the paraphrases gets a prize (in my case, I gave them chocolate); this is to ensure the speed of the activity wouldn't go to slow and make it more competitive

7. The group that has the best paraphrase (as voted by the class) also gets a prize (again, it's chocolate); this is to make sure they really know "what is a good paraphrase"

I wrapped up this activity by having each group discuss about whether or not the ideas in the original sentence has successfully reached the last person through their paraphrase. I made them write their paraphrases on transparencies, so that everyone in the class can see how the paraphrase 'evolved'. During this discussion, students

1. identify when and where the distortion or error occur
2. and they had a good time laughing at each other and sharing chocolate!

My class had fun participating in this activity; it's a competition in which all the students are involved and everybody gets really worked up! ;D