Author Topic: warm up summary activity: "the eyes"  (Read 12445 times)

Offline katwu

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 11
    • View Profile
warm up summary activity: "the eyes"
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:44:20 AM »
Here's a nice warm up activity to start with when teaching summary; it helps Ss understand what they think a good summary should be like before the teacher actually introduces the concept.

1.Divide the class with about four Ss in each group

2.Ask each group to decide who is going to be "the eyes" of that group. The teacher shows a video clip in class, but only "the eyes" can watch the clip. Other Ss have to close their eyes and simply listen. (You can find useful video clips here: http://www.youtube.com/user/pingu?blend=1&ob=4#p/u--the pingu series has one thing in common: it makes a lot of noise, but you wouldn't know what's going on unless you actually "watch it"

3. All of the students except the eyes get a piece of chocolate. ("The eyes" have to earn their chocolate by doing a good job of summarizing!)

4. After "the eyes" finish watching the clip, they have to summarize it for the rest of the group. (At this point, the teacher should stress that its only a "summary")

5. Show the clip again, this time to all of the students. Ask the other students to evaluate whether or not "the eyes" did a good job summarizing the clip. If they think the eyes did a good job, they should give the chocolate to "the eyes".

6. Discuss with the students whether or not they give their chocolate, and for what reasons? The teacher tries to elicit from the students what they think makes a good summary.

7. The teacher presents actual guidelines on "what makes a good summary". According to these guidelines, ask the students to once again evaluate whether or not the eyes did a good job. If they changed their mind about their evaluation, they can ask for their chocolate back!

Offline luvjanny

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 7
  • smurfette
    • View Profile
Re: warm up summary activity: "the eyes"
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:03:40 PM »
 ;D
Nice idea. I tried this in my class and everyone actually enjoyed it!
Who am I? I am the other in you.