Author Topic: Final Review Game in ESL Writing class  (Read 3156 times)

Offline katwu

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 11
    • View Profile
Final Review Game in ESL Writing class
« on: November 17, 2009, 08:38:25 PM »
Finals are approaching, and I thought this would be a great time to  help students review some of the writing concepts and conventions that we have been talking about throughout this semester. :)

1. I came up with a list of keywords that represent certain writing concepts that I've been teaching about, (e.g. main idea, unity, audience, purpose, topic sentence, thesis statement, telling and showing, sentence variety, paraphrase, plagiarism, summary, PIE structure, citation...) and write them on cards.

2. Divide students in to groups of four. Students in each group has to take turns to come up. The teacher will assign a card to that student and he/she will have to try to make his/her group member say that key word by describing it. (Note: the student that is describing can say anything but those key words)

3. The group that has got the most key words within a limited amount of time wins!

I find this activity really useful in helping students review those concepts, since it forces them to describe those concepts in their own words. For example, if the key word is ?topic sentence?, the student that is describing would say something like ?Two words. It tells you the main idea of that paragraph. You can only have one in each paragraph. Everything else in that paragraph supports it.?

By playing this game, not only the student who is describing gets to review the concept, but also his/her team members get to review it too! 

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 164
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Re: Final Review Game in ESL Writing class
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
 :marvelous

This is a bit similar to the board game Taboo:
http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-4015-S5-Taboo/dp/B00005UKIZ
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline Cogliostro

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 7
  • "In Flames we Burn"
    • View Profile
Re: Final Review Game in ESL Writing class
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 12:48:05 PM »
Way to go, Taboo!!! I love that game.

We actually played it a while ago with a group of low-intermediate students... they loved it as well. We played it at the end of the course, and we reviewed words that we had used throughout. It yielded really good results, since students were able to remember and apply the vocabulary that we had used in class.

Did you try it already in an actual class? How did it work?

Cog
"I live so that I might learn; I learn so that I might teach." DUIR