Author Topic: Learners Have Enough Time and Feedback  (Read 7762 times)

Lisa

Learners Have Enough Time and Feedback
« on: January 30, 2006, 09:58:57 AM »
I listed this condition as a "maybe" for CMC helping to meet optimal language learning.  That is because it depends on the type of CMC used, the teacher's role for feedback and the duration set for using CMC.  For example if chatting was used consistently throughout a semester and was REQUIRED for at least 30 minutes a class (or outside of class) then that would be a good amount of time.  But if it was used inconsistently or it was an optional task for outside of class then it probably wouldn't be as helpful.  The amount of feedback the learners receive also depends on the type of CMC used and the role of the teacher as well as the "virtual" interlocutor"   If chatting is used it may be difficult for the teacher to look in on all the students' chats to give feedback, but he/she could be available to circulate for questions if it was done in class.  Looking to point number one (negotiating) feedback will also likely be received from the student's partner.  If the partner is a NS or NSlike then they could serve to give feedback just as much as the teacher.  Also in the negotiating process between two learners they will still receive feedback based on what "works" and what doesn't as they try to communicate
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 10:04:33 AM by Lisa »

Offline shanson1

• Superhero Member
  • Less Stress! More Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: Learners Have Enough Time and Feedbak
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 10:03:12 AM »
Another point I considered regarding enough time is that asynchronous communication may be better at this than synchronous.  In chatting, particularly with a native speaker, learners might feel more pressure to reply quickly and consequently not attend to what they are saying as much.  But in something like email, people generally have time to look over what they have read and proofread their message before sending it.

Stephanie

Julieta

Re: Learners Have Enough Time and Feedback
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 10:21:40 AM »
Although I agree with Stephanie in that the use of asynchronous technology may be better, I still have some questions with regards to what promotes learning and the teacher's role. It is stated in the literature that students learn the most when they have to negotiate meaning (using clarification requests, recasts, repetition for clarification etc./ Interaction Hypothesis, Long 1996). Then, if the communication is synchronous, how can the teacher provide the “explicit, appropriate, individualized feedback” Egbert et. al mention? Does that mean that non-synchronous tasks would be preferred? How can the response from the authentic audience be predicted to plan classroom activities? It seems that a teacher who uses CMC has to be flexible to adapt on the spot.  On the other hand, if the technology being used is asynchronous, should the teacher provide feedback on what the students write, post or record before they use it with their audience? Or should the teacher wait and let the students negotiate for meaning with their audience?

Julieta :-\

Lisa

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 10:36:04 AM »
well now I'm a little confused
I was thinking the teacher could pop in for consultation during a chat---but that is kind of breaking down the conversation as much as it would be to interupt a real conversation.
hmmmm
feedback-this can be a tough one

Offline chau2

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 10:42:22 AM »
It looks vital that CMC helps language learners getting feedback from their partners, which learners need to be aware of. Yet, it depends on the attitudes of their native partners. I mean that what will happend if their partners do not want to give any feedback to their dyad.   

Offline Mete

• Superhero Member
  • I post, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 08:12:55 AM »
Here, i guess, CMC comes in handy with its being able to record language produced. This way, even in synchronous communication the teacher can keep track of what is going on and can give feedback on common language errors.

In asynchronous communication, it is much more easier. Learners do have time to revise their "products". They can go over and check their work over and over. This gives them the time they need. Again here, teacher works as a feedback provider.

In synchronous communication, however, teacher cannot interrupt the ongoing communication and provide feedback. So, teacher can gather language used and provide feedback later. The main role of teacher here, i guess, is to provide prompts to the students -which should be authentic, of course-???

Offline isiltan

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 08:23:37 AM »
The type of CMC used, would determine the teacher's, peer's and NS' potential of giving help and feedback.

While chatting or video-chatting, it is not possible of the teacher to give feedback to every one of the students. Help and feedback form peers and NS might be useful in this case.
The teacher's immediate help might be useful if he/she sees the communication is breaking down. The teacher can also answer the frequently asked questions as they come up in class. Chats can also be saved for the review of the teacher later but I am not sure how handy that is???

For emails, it is easier for the teacher to provide the necessary help and feedback.

Offline elcin

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 12:48:19 PM »
I have parallel thoughts to Stephanie’s in that people have time to understand clearly (without feeling the pressure of giving an urgent answer) what they read and check what they write to their receivers in asynchronous communication. Moreover it is easier and more effective to get the feedback in asynchronous communication because people will have time to think on their mistakes or shortcomings. Bearing Julieta’s question in mind “On the other hand, if the technology being used is asynchronous, should the teacher provide feedback on what the students write, post or record before they use it with their audience? Or should the teacher wait and let the students negotiate for meaning with their audience?”, my suggestion for a teacher would be to let the students fish for the right way to communicate with their native audience on their own and get feedback from them first and from the teacher second. However, what I suggest does not undermine the importance of the role of the teacher but to see her/him as a guide rather than an administrator.

Offline hatime

• Superhero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 02:10:01 PM »
      Well, in terms of providing the learners with enough time, asynchronous communication looks safer than synchronous one. ??? As Stephanie stated, once the learners feel that they don't have enough time or they have to do it quickly, they may become demotivated and unable to convey the meaning because of the pressure they feel.
      As for the feedback, I agree with my friends that giving appropriate feedback to the learners completely depends on the type of CMC. During synchronous communication, however, the teacher might prefer the language they use and be a model for them by using the language accurately, which is a kind of indirect feedback....
   Hatime  :-\

Offline Randall Sadler

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • To CMC or not to CMC. That is the question.
    • View Profile
    • ESLweb
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 03:35:46 PM »
Wow,  great discussion on this question!  

Everyone has brought up some very valid points.  I certainly agree that one of the issues with CMC relates to the synchronous vs asynchronous modes.  Clearly, using asynchronous modes such as email or message boards allows students to both have enough time to compose and post messages as well as providing the opportunity for in-depth feedback from their peers and teachers.  However, there is still the charm of sychronous modes which more accurately reflect the real time nature of face-to-face communication. I think they both have a lot of value.
Randall Sadler, Administrator, The CMCforum
Assistant Professor, Linguistics
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,  http://www.eslweb.org