Author Topic: Idea for Lesson on Analysis Essays  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Imogenius

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 19
  • Me and two friends in Italy.
    • View Profile
Idea for Lesson on Analysis Essays
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »
So, I'm writing an analysis for a class I took last semester, EIL 511: Task-based Language Teaching.  I'm analyizing the curriculum I taught this summer (in Italy to elementary school students) using a task-based framework.  Specifically I'm analyzing the different activities the students accomplished based on 5 principles of task-based language learning.

At the same time, I'm teaching a course at the Intensive English Institute on Academic Reading and Writing.  Our next unit is on writing Analysis Papers.  I am going to present my paper to my students tomorrow as an example of how analysis can be used in a graduate program.  I will heavily caution that it is an unfinished work and not a pattern to be copied for their papers.

My question is, would it be beneficial to my students if they were to offer me peer feedback on my essay?  This would take place after we've covered the material in the unit on writing Analysis Papers, of course.  I know it would benefit me, not only in my paper, but also in giving me an opportunity to see how well they are doing in giving constructive peer feedback.

Does this cross any ethical boundaries, if I'm asking my students to review a paper I'm going to submit for the MATESL Program?  I sense that there could be some ethical issues here, so I wanted to get some feedback before I begin to think about this.

Thanks for your help guys!
Imy :)
Imy Berry
MATESL '10

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 165
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Re: Idea for Lesson on Analysis Essays
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 08:47:48 AM »
Great idea!

Two ways you could handle it:
1.  Lie
2.  Don't lie.   ;)

For 1., you could just tell them that you want to have them analyze a sample paper....but don't tell them it is yours.  Doing it that way will likely get more realistic feedback.  After the feedback, which should be done anonymously, you can tell them it is yours.

For 2., you'd just tell them it is yours from the start, but I'm not sure how much real critique you'd get!

Either way, I'd be sure to give them some good guiding questions for the peer review.
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline juvalracelis

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 02:40:38 PM »
Regarding ethical issues, I think you could get around this if you were to present the draft to your students AFTER you have submitted the final paper.  One problem with this could be that waiting for you paper's due date may make presenting your draft version no longer applicable to the class's topic (ie, if you're paper is due in two weeks  ;) and by then you're no longer doing analytic essays).  You could get around this by showing your students your draft after you've already written your final draft. 

I think the exercise is very applicable, but I also agree that it sounds like you're getting your students to do work for you!

Offline Imogenius

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 19
  • Me and two friends in Italy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:18:14 AM »
I like that idea, especially since I want to turn this paper in early anyway and have more time to focus on other comprehensive exams.  However, I might use my students feedback to improve the paper before I present it at a conference.  Is this the same?
Imy Berry
MATESL '10