Author Topic: Powerpoint for Visual Analysis Activity  (Read 5283 times)

Offline Imogenius

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 19
  • Me and two friends in Italy.
    • View Profile
Powerpoint for Visual Analysis Activity
« on: October 30, 2009, 01:15:29 PM »
This activity went really well in my class, "Academic Reading and Writing 600" which is the highest level at the Intensive English Institute on the campus of the University of Illinois.  I started with a quickwrite (freewrite) on the questions in the first slide (10mins individual writing) and my students came up with many creative stories behind the painting.  Then we went through each slide and we talked about the different analysis an art critic would give of the painting versus the analysis a historian might give.  Finally, I had them read a wikipedia entry on the painting and talk about how that added to their analysis of the painting and what the artist was trying to convey.  I think it illustrated well how people can use their background and knowledge as frameworks for visual analysis.  We then transitioned to textual analysis in the next class session.

PS: The powerpoint was developed by my supervisor, LuAnn Sorenson, who is the leader of the advanced reading and writing sections at the Intensive English Institute.   I modified it slightly based on the progress of my class to that point (e.g. I took out the section on APA citations because we had finished that already).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:17:03 PM by Imogenius »
Imy Berry
MATESL '10

Offline Imogenius

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 19
  • Me and two friends in Italy.
    • View Profile
Re: Powerpoint for Visual Analysis Activity
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 01:20:14 PM »
PS: Now I'm a superhero!  :tasmanian devil   >:D   :tasmanian devil   >:D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:31:15 PM by Randall Sadler »