Author Topic: NYT Prompts for Argumentative Writing  (Read 2397 times)

Offline vabbott2

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 16
    • View Profile
NYT Prompts for Argumentative Writing
« on: March 06, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »
Hello,

While working on another project for the assessment course, I came across this comprehensive list of topics for argumentative essays (http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/301-prompts-for-argumentative-writing/). I liked that it was organized by topics ranging from technology to parents and families. Within each major topic are subtopics with each listing linked to the related NYT article. And most of the articles are fairly recent within the last year or two (2015/2016). Every once in a while I came across one link with a short blurb about the topic of interest and a request for feedback from students. While that wasn't necessarily helpful in providing a good news article for students, it was a possible opportunity for students to submit their opinion to the NYT!

This could be a great resource to share with students who are searching for ideas for argumentative essays. You could use the articles under one topic area to discuss the rhetorical structures of informative vs. opinion. Or you could ask students to work in pairs and have them pick articles of opposing sides, analyze them, and have a debate. Really the options for this are pretty open, and I thought it was too good of a resource to pass up!

Cheers,
Val