Author Topic: Before the Extensive Reading Begins  (Read 752 times)

Offline dunn10

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile
Before the Extensive Reading Begins
« on: March 01, 2020, 08:33:43 PM »
Children of all ages have preconceived ideas of different books and genres of books. If you have ever taught before, you know well, you will have some students moan and complain, as soon as you introduce the book to the class. From the very start of the book the student motivation is low. Even worse, their negativity can spread and lessen the motivation of the other students in the class.

This is why I would not recommend introducing the text as a sudden announcement to the students. As the teacher, I would show a love and appreciation of the books and the book genres that will be used throughout the school year, long before the students ever realized they were in a reading class. I would like to share a few tips that I have learned from teaching.

1. If you have a classroom that is yours, decorate it, better yet, plaster it. Are you going to read the Hobbit? put up movie posters of the Hobbit. If you were going to read Animal Farm, by George Orwell, consider some old government propaganda posters.

2. If you don't have a classroom, get a tattoo of the book cover on your arm. Okay.... maybe a tattoo is a bit much. However, there are many clothing items that can show your enthusiasm for the books you will be reading. I have a coffee mug with famous lines from literature, and I have piqued my students interest several times, due to the mug; "Mr. Dunn why does your mug say "My mother died today. Or maybe yesterday, I don't know.""?

3. Music can engage students and increase their interest. Especially if the book being read has been turned to a movie or was originally a screenplay. Simply by asking "do you want to hear the soundtrack to the Hobbit or to Star Wars?" 
Ultimately, when the teacher is enthusiastic about the book and reading, the students will often reciprocate that same enthusiasm, especially if you have time to build their interest. Teacher enthusiasm is essential for the initial motivation of the students.

Please share any methods you have for engaging your studentsí interest before the reading begins.

Offline swelsch

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 1
    • View Profile
Re: Before the Extensive Reading Begins
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 11:14:39 AM »
I agree that jumping into announcing reading can be pressuring for students, especially if in their L1 they have no motivation for reading, so it's gonna be hard to peak their interest in another language. I really like the idea of posting up little sneak peaks of what is to come for the text that will be read in class. Along with this maybe doing general postings of different genres or book options, can help them become more familiar and let them dip their toes in and give them a sense of feeling like they have some control over the readings. Meaning, maybe giving them text options to choose from would help them gain a little more motivation and interest for the lessons to come.