Author Topic: Advanced Reading: Creating Imagery  (Read 665 times)

Offline dunn10

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile
Advanced Reading: Creating Imagery
« on: May 06, 2020, 10:12:13 PM »
I've used this article with advanced students in the past. I have them read the article for homework and highlight or take note of any of the unique methods or language the writer uses to create imagery or details within the story. During class, we have an open discussion about what the students think. Some common comments students make are the use of unique adjectives/ vocab, using -esque (dali-esque). Some questions to help guide the discussion are;

How would you describe the main character's personality? What in the text allowed you to form your opinion of his personality?

What feeling do you get when the author is describing the landscape?

What do you make of the writers questions and the main characters short answers? How does this Q&A help you conceptualize the main character? What are you learning about the main character?

Another idea I've had is to have the students write a short story based on the photos from the article (before reading the article). After they write their short story they can compare their story to the article. This activity could give the students a different perspective on their writing skills and identify some components they might want to develop for descriptive writing.

BBC Article The Dogged Old Man Of The Badlands.