Author Topic: Learning about Descriptive Language with THE BOY WHO LIVED, Ch 1  (Read 5963 times)

Offline MarciaTorres

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 10
    • View Profile
Learning about Descriptive Language with THE BOY WHO LIVED, Ch 1
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:32:41 AM »
Goals:
          a) To read the first chapter of the Boy Who Lived.
          b) To discuss the importance of description and the use of sensory details in writing.
          c)  To write a descriptive paragraph.

1.  Even though by now nearly everybody knows about HARRY POTTER, it is important that the teacher introduces this chapter by presenting a short video from the first movie and  giving a very short introduction of the story line.
2.  After that the teacher distributes Chapter 1 from THE BOY WHO LIVED and asks students to read as much as they can  in class for 10 minutes (just to ignite their curiosity).  Because they won't be finished by then, she tells them to finish it at home.
3.  The following class, the teacher asks students to comment on the reading, first in small groups, and then as a class.  Three questions are posted on the board to encourage and guide the discussion:  a)  What characters are introduced in the first chapter?   b)  How do they look like?      c) What do you think is their importance in the story?
4.  After the discussion in class, students go over their text to find "words that describe."  They make lists and share with each other. Teacher asks for "words that describe people", "words that describe places," "words that describe other things, (objects, feelings, states of mind, etc.)
5.  Teacher tells students about the importance of using descriptive words, sensory details (sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste), in writing:  To create a mental picture in the reader's mind.
6.  She asks students to choose specific segments of the chapter that allowed them to form a mental picture of the person, place, object, etc.
7.  Teacher asks students to think about their favorite holiday and brainstorm sensory details that will help them describe it to a person from another culture.
     Students can begin writing about their FAVORITE HOLIDAY in class and finish it at home.  Everyone will have the opportunity to read it tomorrow!

Offline kristen.m

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 15
    • View Profile
Re: Learning about Descriptive Language with THE BOY WHO LIVED, Ch 1
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:43:23 PM »
Great idea to use description. There is so much of it in this chapter and the vocabulary would be useful for students to use outside of class--physical descriptions and colors, for instance. I also think it's smart to show a clip of the movie; students will love this and it will get them in the "Harry Potter mindset."

Offline robinjoann

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »
Hello Marcia!
I really liked this post and I like how you are emphasizing the use of adjectives. What I don't understand is why it is important to show a short video from the first movie. Do you think that if you complement the chapter with the movie it may contradict some of what is written in the book, considering books and movies are not always exactly the same? I feel like this would take away from the student's creativity when later asked to describe characters. What skill level are you intending this lesson for? If it is for the beginner skill level I feel like a good start would be to go more in-depth about what an "adjective" is, rather than just using "words that describe". As for the holiday description portion of your lesson, I enjoy your idea about culture and holidays however, I don't see how it fits in with the theme of Harry Potter. Is there a reason you chose holidays? Perhaps this could be used as an entirely separate lesson on adjectives.
All in all, very good lesson for teaching the importance of adjectives. I feel as if it would be fun and interesting for students at all skill-levels.

Offline Stephen Hill

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
I think students would really enjoy this lesson.  I wonder if there's a way to make students use the vocabulary in the chapter when they do the writing activity -- maybe tell them to describe a person, for example, rather than their favorite holiday.

Offline yuhuiho2

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »
I also noticed that there are a lot of descriptive words in Harry Potter! I think it is a good material for students to focus on the how the language is being used--they can do brainstorming in groups and then draw a picture of the story. By using the image (which is drawn by themselves), students can memorize descriptive words easier than just read without any visual aids, they can also pay attention on how the sentences are being formed (either in order to be more easier to read or to be more beautiful). This can also help students with their writing skill!

Offline Sophie

• Buckbeak Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 12:49:05 PM »
 Hey Marcia,
              I love your ideas! Showing  students part of the movie at the beginning of class will definitely attract studentsí attention. I also think from the angle of descriptive language is a good way to practice studentsí reading skills. With the teacherís instruction, students will learn how to deal with the descriptive details in the novel.   And also, connecting what they learned in Harry Potter with studentsí own experience is a good way to let them practice what they already learned in everyday use.  ;)

Offline jingguojovie

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 12:49:16 PM »
It is a cool idea and lesson plan Marcia. I guess you could perhaps also think about who would be appropriate students of this lesson.

Offline marta2

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 12:50:38 PM »
Great idea! I love how you incorporated holidays into it! One suggestion that I have would be to make the students write down the list of words and adjectives that come up with during the brainstorming process. This will help them form their sentences before they begin writing about their favorite holiday.