Author Topic: Project Grading Rubric  (Read 4806 times)

Offline Beth M. Hennes

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
Project Grading Rubric
« on: October 09, 2005, 04:57:17 PM »
This rubric is to be used for oral presentations, visual projects, etc. It is set up in a general "foreign language" format (because I used to use this with my French students), so for ESL, "target language" = English.

Criteria include: Task, Presentation/Delivery, Visual Quality/Organization, Language Use, Creativity

There are columns for Self-Grade and Teacher Grade, which is a useful tool for student reflection. It also gives the teacher a good idea of what the student has earned, because students tend to be surprisingly honest when they have to justify themselves. The +/- columns allow you to rate a performance as "somewhere in between".

The highest expectation is on the left to be read first, indicating that it is the most important, and visually "sets the bar" for your students. If students are from a culture where reading goes right to left, etc, it may be worth pointing out the priority difference. Students should have a copy of the rubric when a project is assigned, so that they know what level they should be working for.

I generally do not like to mathematically assign points to rubrics. To give an example why: a student could in theory sufficiently complete a task, but do very poorly on their delivery and language use. If this rubric were taken out of 20 points (4 points per criteria) and they earned 3 points on Task and 1 on Presentation, Organization and Language, and 2 for Creativity, they would receive 8 points total, which is a 40% and far below failing.

I recommend considering each point column as a letter grade. 4=A or 90% and above, 3=B or 80%, 2=C or 70%, 1=D or 60%, and 0=F or below 60%. In this case, the above student might earn a C- or D. This gives the teacher some leeway to decide on what the student deserves. You could calculate it like a Grade Point Average, or even visually say, "this looks like a B, because the scores tend to center around the 3 column". I also like to take scores out of 10 points, like 8.8, which translates to 88%, and I can think of them as letter grades that way too (B+). Whole number mathematics don't allow for students to make "small progress".

Furthermore, not all criteria should be considered equal, sometimes you may want to focus on one area, and mathematically it is difficult to get your overall scores to equal the grade they deserve.

Remember, rubrics help put something as subjective as grading an essay into a concrete form, however grading remains subjective so the device needs to maintain plasticity.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005, 05:15:34 PM by Beth M. Hennes »