Author Topic: During-Reading activities for the article "Potentially Habitable exoplanet..."  (Read 319 times)

Offline Randall Sadler

• The boss of the Forum!
  • Administrator
  • Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 165
  • Yes, well done. Well done.
    • View Profile
    • ESLWeb.org:  http://www.eslweb.org
Post your during-reading activities for the article by clicking 'reply' to this post. "Potentially habitable exoplanet candidate spotted around Alpha Centauri A in Earth's backyard"You can find pre-reading and post-reading activities for this article in their own sections of the forum.
Randall Sadler, Site Owner
Asst. Prof, Linguistics, U. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  www.eslweb.org

Offline TFeyD

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
During-Reading Activity
Here is the pre-reading activity that students will complete before this one: Pre-Reading

For this during-reading activity, Students will be split into groups and asked to read the article with their groups and watch the videos included in the article together. They will have two tasks to complete during their reading
  • If students run into any terms that werenít already covered in the pre-reading activity that they donít understand, they should write those terms down and discuss with their groups, developing definitions for those words. This is a glossary that can be used. https://www.novac.com/wp/fp/resources/glossary/
  • Take notes on the following questions or simply think about them while reading  and then discuss them as a group:
    - What might make a planet "habitable"? Do you think Proxima b is habitable? (Hint. Click on the highlighted blue word Proxima b in the reading for additional information)
    - What similarities/differences do Proxima b and the Alpha Centauri system have to Earth and the solar system?
This activity can be adapted for higher or lower leveled students with more/less open-ended questions and more/less scaffolding.

Here is a post-reading activity to follow this one : Post Reading
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 10:51:05 AM by TFeyD »

Offline Rschroeder101

• Definitely not Rob
  • Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
  • I'm not giving my name to a machine!
    • View Profile
Our group is discussing teaching this article to intermediate middle school students. I don't think the article would be impossibly difficult, but I do think a lot of support will be needed in ensuring that students understand what the article is discussing and in understanding some of the smaller details within. For this, there are two methods that I think would help with this:

Annotation:
An annotation activity where students identify the main point of the text and supporting details. The main point of the article is pretty easy to find, but etching out the details and how they relate to the main point would be the most challenging part.

Additionally, a during-reading vocabulary exercise would also help with student comprehension. For this, I would ask students to underline words, phrases, or complex sentences that they don't understand. Since I want students to focus on understanding the main idea and supporting details first and foremost, I would encourage students to differentiate between vocab that negatively affects their overall understanding of the text and vocab that likely contains minor details or descriptions that they don't need to understand the overarching points of the article. This activity would also prepare them for an after-reading activity where they compare the pre-reading vocab exercise with the words they actually found difficult in the passage.

Kelsey is working on our group's after-reading activity.

Offline Stephanie_C

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
Group: Zaima (Pre-reading), Stephanie (During-reading), Morgan (Post-reading)
Age range of students: around 7-8th grade
Annotation: students should get into groups and try to figure out the main facts of each paragraph as well as noting down unknown vocabulary items or phrases.

Depending on time, a possible additional activity to have students single out phrases or vocabulary that seem to be impeding the majority of their understanding and look them up in order to fill out a worksheet on the main "figures" in the article, for example (hand-illustrated):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L7SURpgYDaqdb0nB8Te_mNVZfZXG2A-G/view?usp=sharing
The blank boxes are flexible and can contain either lists of observations or even questions such as:

What do we know about this object?
Who are these people? What did they do?
What does "VLT" stand for?
Is this planet inhabitable?

Offline fajardoss

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 2
    • View Profile

This activity would be preceded by Mengjia's (pre-reading).Student group: 15 students, Freshmen at college
Because this is a complex text, it is possible that students feel overwhelmed by the number of words that may feel unfamiliar to them. An important reading skill is drawing inferences of the meaning of words from the context. In this activity, our goal is to practice that skill together with the strategy of skimming the text for a general idea.
Steps:
1. Students are asked to do a first, superficial, reading of the text while highlighting any words that they do not know the meaning of or that are unfamiliar to them.
2. Students have to do a second, more paused, reading and try to get a general idea of the text.
3. We provide students with a table with three columns and ask them to divide the words that they initially highlighted into 1. Words they did not know at first but could infer their meaning from the context, 2. Words they did not know, but whose meaning they did not need to understand the text, and 3. Words they did not know and they definitely needed to look-up to understand the text.

The objective of this activity is that students use their inference skills to find the general idea of a text and learn how to not be blocked by unknown vocabulary.

Marianne will post the following post-reading activity.