Author Topic: Hearing to Read  (Read 1704 times)

Offline mhenehan

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 3
    • View Profile
Hearing to Read
« on: March 27, 2017, 07:43:42 PM »
I like the idea of integrating skills.  I haven’t taught, so this is totally untested.  Feedback always welcome.
Hearing to Read 
In oral traditions, story-tellers are excellent at verbal delivery and memory.  My experience with traditional foreign language learning is that my reading can advance, but my memory (if it’s hard work and only a single reading) and speaking production remain weak.  I particularly do not like cold reading aloud.  Just for fun, this is designed with no reading aloud at all. 
Level:  advanced beginner/early intermediate
This would be intensive, not extensive reading.  The input should be “+1” or more, because a lot of time will be spent on one short piece, so it should be challenging.
Material:  An article with both factual and emotional content, for example this National Geographic article about cheetahs.  It tugs at sympathy for the dying cheetahs, introduces geography with lists of countries, has statistics on numbers, the role of humans, and spurs to political action. 
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/12/cheetahs-extinction-endangered-africa-iucn-animals-science/
Prepare a text-only handout including only a picture of a cheetah. 
In the last third of a given class period:
·       Display or hand out a picture only (no text yet) of a cheetah and make sure the students know what it is.
·       Tell students in advance that this lesson will be about hearing my reading as spoken language, then reading, and then producing an oral summary.
·       Teacher reads a piece aloud and students close their eyes and listen with no other instruction
·       Teacher reads it again and students take notes on not what is going on, but rather whether what is going on is pleasant, sad, informative, provocative.  In other words they are picking up on emotions and attitudes rather than substance.
Homework: 
·       Hand out print article
·       Students are told to read the piece themselves without a dictionary and try to hear it in their head expressed as they perceived it to be when the teacher read it, even if the full meaning is not yet clear. 
·       Next, they should check unfamiliar vocabulary in order to complete understanding of the meaning. 
·       Then they should read it aloud to themselves.   
·       Tell students that the next day in class that they will not be looking at the text again.  They will have to write a summary from memory, and then in pairs they can share info and check accuracy
·       Then they will need to do a short oral summary (depending on the size of the class – otherwise, four students could prepare a four-sentence summary and deliver it in series)
Telling them ahead of time will boost their motivation to pay close attention to the reading at home.
Next day:
·       Proceed as described above
·       Have students discuss in groups what they observed about different types of reading – alone and silent, skimming, reading out loud, listening and then reading, summarizing, etc.  [/size]
·
       Tell students that in two weeks you will ask them in class what they remember from the article.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:51:16 PM by mhenehan »
Marie Henehan