Author Topic: Goals and succcess markers  (Read 95 times)

Offline mschrock

• Fluffy Poster
  • Karma Points! 1
    • View Profile
Goals and succcess markers
« on: May 13, 2021, 04:58:09 PM »
I think motivation is ony the killers of language learning. Many students hit a wall when the information or work becomes too difficult and can stall their learning and reduce motiviation. For younger learners I have noticed that success markers are a great way to keep young children motivated, especially public praise. This also removes the feeling of learning to be work or burdensome. Making the progress of learning into a game-like challenge will increase motivation in children in my personal opinion. Though it is a slippery slope as some children will pretend to learn in order to gain the public praise or success marker. This is something to definitely keep an eye out for. For older learners personalized goals in the language learning setting is what will motivate them to learn. Many times we see that adults want to learn a langauge for a specific purpose either for working abroad or integrating into a foreign lagnauge speaking family or their own other personal reason. By honing in on these goals we can better motivate students to learn, having specific lessons or homework or activities based around these goals will keep them as active participants and better their learning.