Author Topic: Making a Mini-book Introduction  (Read 6518 times)

Offline Victor

• Norbert Poster
  • Karma Points! 7
    • View Profile
Making a Mini-book Introduction
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:57:33 PM »
This section is for making a mini-book. I will post teaching materials for practice day here and you can give me ideas for making a mini-book or using it. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 09:15:17 PM by Victor »

Offline strab959

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 14
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion topics for practice day(9/22)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 01:48:34 PM »
Here's a link for an ESL minibook. The instructions section has some good suggestions for use.

http://teacher.scholastic.com/lessonrepro/newcontent/pdf/915391.pdf

Offline bmeline

• Fang Poster
  • Karma Points! 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 01:49:12 PM »
http://teacherlink.ed.usu.edu/tlresources/units/byrnes-africa/kelmcg/index.htm

website for lesson plan for learning to count to 10 in Swahili

Offline michelle

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 09:56:24 PM »
Making a minibook seems to be an effective way for developing writing and reading for Pre-K to 1-2 grades, but for adults it is very time consuming and some learners may think it's too childish.

As for kids, I would like to have more ready-made material, like the Martin Luther King's, which integrates reading and writing and arts activity. I remember my son(kinder) once brought a mini book, which he cherished because he himself made it and therefore he would love to read it to me, which I ejoyed, too.

The metaphor of "hotdog" and "hamburger", I will never forget~!! Thanks for the idea~

Michelle

Offline CarleenCoconut

• Dumbledore Poster!
  • Karma Points! 16
    • View Profile
    • The (Mis)Adventures of an International Student
Re: Making a Mini-book Introduction
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »
Mini-books!!

Oh my goodness these are so cute!!!

I don't think that these are only appropriate for young children!  I just made a lesson for my phonology class where my tutee had to make up a silly story using words with small cap I (her target sound).  I provided her with the pictures she can choose from (6 out of 10), where she can paste onto the blank mini-book afterward. As she tells me her story, I take down notes so she can rewrite them later in her mini-book.  I haven't tried it yet, but i think it should work.

And of course that's a pronunciation tutoring. You can do more with this is a reading-writing class! It absolutely fabulous!  Thanks for posting this idea! Wooohoo! (me --> excited!)